Saturday, May 14, 2011

356: Down to the Derby


So I had my first experience of the Kentucky Derby this past weekend. No, not in the grandstand with all the celebrities where I felt I belonged, but in the infamous infield.

It was interesting to say the least. First of all, you could spend the whole day in the infield and never even see a horse! It’s also one of those events where everyone starts out totally playing the part of the sophisticated southerner, and by the time you’re ready to leave you have to look down at your feet the entire walk out of Churchill Downs to make sure you’re not about to step on one of the many “spectators” passed out on the ground. And don’t even get me started on the porta-potty racers (just Google it).

Regardless, we had an awesome time reuniting with friends we haven’t seen in way too long – Matt’s friends from law school, some of our college friends and Matt’s cousin all made the trip. At one point Matt and I looked around the bus and realized almost everyone there would be at our wedding and what an amazing party we’re going to have!

We did a day trip from Indy to Louisville by party bus which was a great time thanks to what was quite possibly the best music playlist I’ve ever heard, created by my talented fiancĂ©. Plus I got to make an itinerary which always makes me very happy.

While it was a great time, I'm not sure I could handle it every year. Thankfully, we already have some plans for the first weekend in May next year! 





No comments:

Post a Comment